Friday, September 16, 2011

20 Pounder and Then Some

H carried this in last night.


We weren't about to let it sit on the counter and rot so we cut it open.


Orangelo watermelon.


It was sweet but not super sweet like I was expecting. I don't know if it just turned the corner on being overripe, or just underripe, or too much water.

Since H's hands were full with the watermelon I carried in the Armenian cucumbers

 
and purple tomatillos.



If you have a favorite recipe for tomatillos please share. There's only 200, no500 a bunch more of the in the garden.

And for the cucumbers...well the picture above is about a third of last night's haul. Some of them had gotten too big and that got me to thinkin'.

I recalled seeing a link to Cucumber Kim Chi on Mr. H's blog Subsistence Pattern . In recent post, no this one, Mr. H made some Kim Chi that looked fantastic and that why Kim Chi was on my mind. So you know what I did last night.


and




But now I'm getting off track.  Back to the Kim Chi.

After cutting the cucumbers ups and letting them sit on the counter overnight with lots of salt sprinkled throughout I continued the recipe this morning.


I added a few green beans from the garden also.



That one of those marinated artichoke large jars. Sorry the picture won't load correctly.

Instead of the Korean chili flake powder I used the smoked chipolote chili powder and only 1 tablespoon of it (instead of 2 as called for in the recipe.) It's plenty hot for me.

Initial taste testing gives the recipe two thumbs up.I am looking forward to tasting it after it marinates in the refrigerator for a couple of days.

P.S. The cinnamon rolls were way too sweet with all that frosting on them.




2 comments:

Mr. H. said...

That is some gigantuous watermelon you have there, I have never tried an orange colored one but it does look quite tasty.

So I had some of our kimchi the other day and I must say that the addition of cucumbers this year really made it good. Glad you are giving it a shot...mmm.

Love those purple tomatillos, I rarely get my purples to look that dark. Here is an interesting recipe
for you...I have not tried it, sounds good though. I turn most of our tomatillos into a thick salsa verde that we can for winter use and enjoy it every bit as much as tomato based salsa.

Kimberly said...

Mr. H.,
Thanks for the link to the recipe. It looks fabulous! I've got chocolate, peppermint and berganot mint growing as well as black Hungarian peppers that look like they are ready for picking. Stay tuned for the results.