Tuesday, March 15, 2011

It's Chick Time

The chicks have arrived.


Our local farm stores gets baby chicks, turkeys and guineas in every spring.  This year we got white leghorns (white eggs), light Brahmas (brown eggs) and Araucanas  (green and blue eggs). They are so darn cute. At about one week of age they are just starting to get their feathers.

Yesterday we took them outside for some sunshine.  The unplanted planter box made a good baby chick confinement area.
Abby watching over her flock

Of course Abby is doing her part by standing guard over the chicks. Abby is 12.5 years old.  She's a Gordon Setter ... a bird dog.  When she was younger she would 'point' when she spotted anything small that moved.  That included birds, chickens, rabbits, leaves, snowflakes, etc.  Like I said, "small and moved."


Working. No escapes today.
Abby doesn't have one mean bone in her body.
This is serious business.
Yeah, it looks like there's a lot of weeding to do.

One year we got guineas. I read there were good for bugs and weed seeds.  What I chose to ignore was the mention of them being loud.  I mean, how loud can a bird (or four) get?

LOUD.

Very. very. loud.

My Craigslist ad read something like this:  FREE.  Come and get them.  NOW!

No comments: