Friday, March 4, 2011

Top Ten Probiotic Foods

Found this article by Dr. Edward Group at the Lew Rockwell website.

What is a probiotic food? Here's most of the above linked article with my commentary.
Probiotics are beneficial forms of gut bacteria that help stimulate the natural digestive juices and enzymes that keep our digestive organs functioning properly...

1. Yogurt

Probiotic Foods - Yogurt
One of the best probiotic foods is live-cultured yogurt, especially handmade. Look for brands made from goat milk that has been infused with extra forms of probitoics like lactobacillus or acidophilus. Goat’s milk and cheese are particularly high in probiotics like thermophillus, bifudus, bulgaricus and acidophilus. Be sure to read the ingredients list, as not all yogurts are made equally. Many popular brands are filled with High Fructose Corn Syrup, artificial sweeteners and artifical flavors.
I have made yogart from goat's milk.  Mine turned out runnier than Greek yogurt. Now that we have goat's milk again I'll have to experiment more.


2. Kefir

Similar to yogurt, this fermented dairy product is a unique combination of goat milk and fermented grains. High in lactobacilli and bifidus bacteria, kefir is also rich in antioxidants. Look for a good, organic version at your local health food shop.
I LOVE kefir made from goat's milk.  We use it in smoothies.  I have developed a liking for it just plain. You have to strain the kefir daily. It is simple to make. Clean your jar, add the kefir granules (looks like cottage cheese or bits of cauliflower) and a little of yesterday's kefir to the jar. Add fresh goat's milk to the jar.  Let the jar sit on the counter 18-24 hours.  The next day repeat the process. Someone told me not to use metal so I don't.  No metal stirring utensils and no metal bowls or strainers. If you are not able to go through your kefir fast enough you can put it in the frig to slow down the process.  I have frozen some granules to reconstitute at a later date.  I also dried them and was going to vacuum seal them. But before I could do that some unnamed offspring of mine

threw them out while cleaning up the kitchen.  She probably thought they were dried rice and wondered why the heck someone hadn't cleaned up the mess. I'll try it again but not before announcing, "Do not throw out the stuff on the counter that looks like dried rice."

3. Sauerkraut

Made from fermented cabbage (as well as other vegetables), sauerkraut is not only extremely rich in healthy live cultures, but also aids in reducing allergy symptoms. Sauerkraut is also rich in vitamins B, A, E and C.
I think just about every time I eat sauerkraut it brings back a childhood memory. My father did the grocery shopping on Saturdays and almost always brought my sister and me with him.  We were not allowed in the commissary so Dad would give us money to get a hot dog.  I always got my with sauerkraut loaded on top.  Ummm... they were good. All the females in this house LOVE sauerkraut.  Doesn't this recipe sound great. Hopefully, we'll get a good crop of cabbage this year and I will try the recipe.
Probiotic Foods - Dark Chocolate

4. Dark Chocolate

Yes, we did say chocolate! A good, high-quality dark chocolate has four times the amount of probiotics as many forms of dairy. This is only one of the health benefits of chocolate. Remember to eat chocolate in moderation.
Oh me, oh my.  Did I read that right? #4. Does it say Dark Chocolate? If you eat enough of it does it make the #1 spot?  Just wondering. Oh, I see it says "eat chocolate in moderation." Define "moderation" please. I might just have to laminate a copy of this list to keep on hand, at the ready to show DH.

5. Microalgae

This refers to super-food ocean-based plants such as spirulina, chorella, and blue-green algae. These probiotic foods have been shown to increase the amount of both Lactobacillus and bifidobacteria in the digestive tract. They also offer the most amount of energetic return, per ounce, for the human system.
I prefer #4.

6. Miso Soup

Probiotic Foods - Miso
Miso is one the main-stays of Japanese traditional medicine, and is commonly used in macrobiotic cooking as a digestive regulator. Made from fermented rye, beans, rice or barley, adding a tablespoon of miso to some hot water makes an excellent, quick, probiotic-rich soup, full of lactobacilli and bifidus bacteria.
Beyond its important live cultures, miso is extremely nutrient-dense and is believed to help neutralize the effects of environmental pollution, alkalinize the body and stop the effects of carcinogens in the system.
#4

7. Pickles

Believe it or not, the common green pickle is an excellent food source of probiotics. Try making your own home-made pickles in the sun. Here’s a great set of instructions for making your own probiotic-rich dill pickles.
What is this?  Sauerkraut, pickles, chocolate... Who knew I was eating right all along. My grandma used to make the best bread and butter pickles.  She would serve them at lunch time and I could eat the whole jar. But I did not. At least I don't think I did.

8. Tempeh

A great substitute for meat or tofu, tempeh is a fermented, probiotic-rich grain made from soy beans. A great source of vitamin B12, this vegetarian food can be sautéed, baked or eaten crumbled on salads. If prepared correctly, tempeh is also very low in salt, which makes it an ideal choice for those on a low-sodium diet.
Not a fan of this.

9. Kimchi

An Asian form of pickled sauerkraut, kimchi is an extremely spicy and sour fermented cabbage, typically served alongside most meals in Korea. Besides from beneficial bacteria, Kimchi is also a great source of beta-carotene, calcium, iron and vitamins A, C, B1 & B2. Kimchi is one of the best probiotic foods you can add to your diet, assuming you can handle the spice, of course.
I like this.  A friend and I were talking about making some kimchi with all the Napa cabbage and bok choy we got from Bountiful Baskets. That will happen another time because we have eaten most of our Napa cabbage and bok choy.

10. Kombucha Tea

This is a form of fermented tea high in healthy gut bacteria. This probiotic drink has been used for centuries and is believed to help increase your energy, enhance your wellbeing and maybe even help you lose weight. However, kombucha tea may not be the best fit for everyone, especially those that already have a problem with candida.
This is a kombucha  "mushroom"  mother a.k.a. SCOBY (Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeast )                                 Photo credit: Robert Anthony Provost
Lots of people like it.  Here's what Wikipedia says about it. This link will give you a recipe.

Now I have to tell you a story.  A friend of mine gave me a kombucha "mother" to start my own tea. These puppies (kombucha, folks) are huge...plate size. I followed the recipe and let it sit to ferment. It didn't get to the bottling stage.  I drank some and I thought I was going to die. Well, maybe not kick the bucket then and there but I felt really, really bad. I threw that puppy out and have not tried it again.

Remember #4.
 

No comments: