Northern Idaho is BEAUTIFUL!!! Lakes, streams, rivers are everywhere.
Northern Idaho had so much rain and snow run off that most of the boat docks were submerged when we first arrived. Towards the end of the week some of the water had rescinded.
| Taken from the condo overlooking the boat dock. |
Our first day there (Memorial Day, May 29, 2011) the 3 girls flew around the lake in a pontoon plane.
That is something they will remember. H took pictures from the air.
The first thing K said when she got off the plane was,
"I thought I was going to throw up when we first started out but I didn't."
The water was a little choppy.
| Pontoon plane dock |
We traveled down to St. Maries (pronounced St. Mary's). There was extensive flooding in the area. Many homes and outbuildings along the river were flooded. We stopped into a real estate office to inquire about some property. I went in first and because I got to chatting so long soon the whole troop came in to see what was taking Momma so long.
The realtor handed me a listing sheet as he told us he the price on this listing had just dropped significantly.
"It's bare land" he said.
I heard,
"It's BEAR land."
My hand with the listing dropped to the counter. Remember, we had just spent a week in Yellowstone where we were constantly cautioned about approaching bears and other wild creatures.
My first thoughts were
"Grizzly?"
"Or Black?"
Like the answer would make any difference in the speed of my retreat from the office.
Trumpets, please.
DH, reading my body language quickly spoke up.
"He said "bare" as in "raw" land dear. There's no structure on the property."
It took a second before my "flight" reaction turned off. In the car DH said,
"I knew you thought he was referring to a bear."Thanks for the save DH.
On the way out of St. Maries we passed an old elementary schoolhouse that had a huge statue of it's mascot (I suppose.)
| Paul Bunyan |
This guy was huge. It was neat to see this old brick schoolhouse. There were two entrances into it. Over one door it read "Girls". Over the other, "Boys." Those were different times.
Greenery everywhere. The weather was overcast about half the time. One day it really poured. We traveled to Spokane and drove around the older part of town. We didn't stay long so I don't know if there is a newer part of town.
| K in front of the fireplace in out condo |
Coeur d'Alene is a clean, quaint town with a combination of old and new. It is right on the lake. It's a nice town to walk around in. T really liked it. There's a great 2.5 mile hike in town
that goes along the lake for most of the way then through the trees the other part. As usual I got to walk it alone. I stopped to read the plaque at the entrance to the trail head and when I turned around everyone had disappeared. I never did see any of them on the trail.
| If you're waiting for Momma you've got a long wait ahead. |
There were lots of beautiful foliage on this hike.
| Asiatic orchids in the forest. |
And of course there's no going on a hike without discovering some type of animal. This slug might have been around our condo. I wasn't present for the photo session.
| They grow them big up here. |
During the week we hiked some and traveled a lot looking at the countryside. The younger girls swam in the resort's pool everyday.
We didn't want to leave.
While we were there we had visitors.
| We looked forward to their daily appearances. |
Five pairs of Canadian geese showed up almost every morning and evening. Between the 10 adults there were 24 goslings.
Peaceful pleasantries.
Saturday, the day before we left was a gorgeous day. The sun was out all day. Boaters were out. DH and the girls went kayaking in Harrison and had a great time. Since DH and H were the photographers on our trip the camera remained in the trunk of the car.
| Big boat is the commercial cruise around the lake tour. |
Thankfully I didn't have loads of laundry to do when we got back because the resort had washer/dryers in each unit and provided the soap.
Photo credits. I think H took all these pictures. Thanks H!
No comments:
Post a Comment