Saturday, February 26, 2011

Bountiful Baskets Does it Again

This morning I showed up at 7:30 to help distribute the fruits and veggies that make up the standard baskets from Bountiful Baskets.  A little better weather than last week.  At least it wasn't pouring down rain... just a  hard sprinkle. I didn't take a picture this time but here's what was included.

The $15 basket of assorted fruits and veggies included:
  1. Broccoli - 1
  2. Leaf lettuce - 1
  3. Yellow potatoes - 3# bag
  4. Asparagus - 1 (the nice slender stemmed ones)
  5. Roma tomatoes - 4
  6.  Bananas - 7
  7.  Cantaloupe - 1
  8.  Pears - 7 Very small but larger than last week's
  9.  Strawberries - 1 #
  10.  Mangoes -2
  11.   Coconut -1
(I think I listed everything.)

The Asian Mix Bag was hefty with all kinds of Asian Greens.  It will make a great stir fry.  Included in the bag were: snow peas, garlic, ginger, bok choy, Napa cabbage, mint, green onions, maybe pak choy.

The special strawberry basket gave you 8#s of huge strawberries.

And the bread...don't forget the bread.  Nine grain and delicious.

I am finding these baskets to be a great way of trying new fruits and veggies.  My children have never had a 'fresh' coconut before.  They enjoyed popping the eyes to drain the 'milk' and the eating the coconut.  It much different from the sugared coconut in the bags.  The 'milk'  is more like a cloudy, slightly coconut flavored water. We used a hammer and a screw driver to open it. Of course, I grew up in a place where we could pick our own coconuts so this wasn't new to me. Last week's new-to-me were the sunchokes aka Jerusalem artichokes.  The sunchokes looked like ginger roots but had a very different taste. They were delicious to me. Nothing like an artichoke either. Last week's pumelos were also a first. A delicious citrus.

These baskets would also be a way to get into eating healthier.  Fresh fruits and veggies are a way to go. The kids devoured last week's oranges, apples, mangoes (2 is NEVER enough in this household).  We're down to our last 2 pumelos.  I thought the mixed citrus box would carry us 2 weeks but apparently not.

If you are in one of the states they deliver to I would encourage you to give them a try.  Their website is linked above.  Remember you can only order from Monday at noon until Tuesday (noon or later, please check their website.)

No comments: