Sunday, February 20, 2011

Canned carrots

DH brought home a 25 # bag of carrots because he likes to give the horses their bribe treats. Before the carrots rotted I thought I'd to try out the pressure canner I recently found off Craigslist.  I've always been nervous about using a pressure canner because I thought it might explode on me.  I got an All-American and so far I really, really like it.  I feel comfortable using it.  The people at All-American are extremely pleasant to deal with. With this canner there is no gasket to wear out. It's all metal to metal.

So Friday night was time to try out the canner. I canned 7 quarts of carrots and used almost the entire 25# bag.  I left them whole hoping for a semi crunchy carrot as the end product. They sure looked pretty.


I opened one jar tonight for dinner.  They were soft and not crunchy at all but they had a sweet flavor.  I don't know if it is possible to get a crunchy carrot when the jar cooks under pressure for 40 minutes.  I mashed the carrots up in my mashed potatoes and ate them that way.

While I was peeling carrots I also made a jar of the spicy Mexican carrots.  Since I was going to be devouring eating them right away I didn't cook them in the pressure canner.  There are many recipes online you can choose.  I started out with this recipe but have tweaked it some. I use powdered sugar, omit the radishes, use my own Thai peppers, and dunk the carrots in boiling water for about 3 minutes and drain before adding the sauce.  It is so good.

No comments: