Sunday, February 20, 2011

Bountiful Baskets

Saturday I picked up my first order from Bountiful Baskets, a food coop.  They deliver to 10 states.  For $15 per basket you get a variety of fruits and vegetables.  There are other baskets available depending on the season.  Saturday's delivery was delayed 2 hours because the truck driver was involved in a minor accident.  In addition, it rained all day long.  Overall I was very pleased with the experience and will be ordering again.

This is the standard $15 basket.  50% fruit and 50% vegetables.
Standard basket.

Starting at the top and going across, L-R:  (Green) bananas, cantaloupe, cabbage. Next row: oranges, mangoes, apples, sunchokes (Jerusalem artichokes), yellow crook squash.  Third row:  1 pound strawberries, tiny pears, yams, spinach. 

I had never eaten sunchokes before.  I just peeled one and ate it raw. DELCIOUS!  Slightly sweet.  I don't know what to compare it to.  Not starchy tasting at all. I would like to grow them this year.

Got the bread basket also.  Five loaves of delicious bread.  We go through about a loaf every day/day and 1/2.  Nine grain bread sweetened with honey. 
9 grain bread. Delicious!
 I also got the box of citrus mix. Oranges, tangellos, pumellos, lemons and key limes.  I had never hads a pumello before. It was good. They are huge.  A lot of rind that I don't know what to do with.


All in all in was a good experience.

No comments: